REPORT OF GWALIOR RUSA CONFERENCE 2014
Prof.D.Kumar,Treasurer,AIFUCTO & the Organising Secretary
A two days ( Feb 28- Mar 01 , 2014) National Conference was held at Jiwaji University , Gwalior on “RASHTRIYA UCHHATAR SIKSHA ABHIYAN: A Paradigm shift for Quality Enhancement of Science & Humanities education & Research” . The programme was jointy organised by SMS Govt Model Science College & Jiwaji university, Gwalior in association with AIFUCTO, MPGCTA , MPFUCTA & JUTA. Prof.D.Kumar, Treasurer, AIFUCTO was its organising secretary. Prof Sudhanshu Bhushan , Head of Higher Education, NUEPA, New Delhi inaugurated the programme on 28 Feb . Prof R J Rao, I/C Vice chancellor of Jiwaji University was the Guest of Honor and Prof I B singh , Additional Director of Higher Education, Govt of MP , Prof Tarun Patra, President , Prof Asok Barman, Gen Secretary ,AIFUCTO were present as the special guests . Prof D R Pawaiya, Principal of the college, presided over the inaugural function. Prof Vijay Agrawal , Director, National Institute of Technical teachers Training & Research , Bhopal was the chief guest , Dr Somdev Bharadwaj, Retd senior Scientist, Gwalior was the Guest of Honor and Prof D S Chandel , Registrar , Raja Man Singh University for Music & Dance was special guest of the Valedictory Function on Mar 01 . Dr B T Deshmukh , Mumbai, presided over the valedictory function. Prof Sudhanshu Bhushan,New Delhi, Prof Asok Barman, Kolkata, Prof Tapti Mukhopadhyaya, Mumbai & Prof Vijay Agrawal, Bhopal delivered the Keynote addresses. Prof Tarun Patra, Kolkata, Prof V P Singh, Lakhisarai, Bihar, Prof J N Shukla, Lucknow, Prof Madhu Paranjape , Mumbai, Prof Jagwant singh, Chandigarh, Prof A K Srivastava & Prof R A Sharma, both Jiwaji University, Gwalior, Dr Alok Kumar, Sonipat, Prof N K Mulla,Satara, Maharashtra, Prof Arun Kumar,Patna & Prof Mahadev Desai, Navsari, Gujrat delivered the Plenary Talks. Prof Viswajit Bhuyan, Nagaon, Asam, Prof C M Jha, LNMU, Bihar, Prof Eqbal Singh Sindhu, Faridabad, Prof N Lobo, Mangalore, Dr P K Sirothia , Gwalior, Dr Anjani Kumar, Nawada, Bihar, Dr R H Patil, Maharashtra, Prof K P Sahu, Bhopal, Prof R Sampath, Chennai, Prof Bhagyavana S Mudugouda, Bangalore, Prof S Vivelanandan, Chennai, Dr D K Singh, Gwalior, Prof Jaykumar, Thiruvanantapuram and many others academicians delivered Invited Talks. More than 250 delegates participated in this conference. Open session was also held in which all stake holders- students/research scholars/teachers/parents/policy makers/administrators- all expressed their views on RUSA . Teacher leaders- Dr Ram Pratap Singh, Dr Dharm Singh , Dr Shantidev Sisodia , Dr Shishir kashyap, Dr A K tripathi, Prof A S Chauhan , Prof R L Taigar, Dr Hari Singh, Prof Manoj Bharadwaj,Dr Niraj Jha, Smt sangeeta Rajput, Ms Namita Agrawal, Ms sapna Sharma , Prof B S Kushwaha and many other teachers and research scholars/ students helped in successful organisation of the conference.
During the two days Some issues which were discussed & deliberated are:
Status of state Universities: A Critical review
- Planning and funding at state level
- Academic and affiliation issues
- Governance and Autonomy
XI, XII Plans and state Universities: An Assessment of objective and implications
- Access, equity, excellence
RUSA : Stated objectives and the Real Motives
Guiding Principles & Prerequisites of RUSA: A Critical Review
Internationalization in Higher Education: The Agenda and imperative
Vocationalisation of Higher Education:
Institutional setup under RUSA:
- At three levels-National -State-Institutional Level
- Critical appraisal
Role of private sector: Vision and the Vicious Design
Approach, Planning and Appraisal
Financing Strategy -Assessment of Problematic issues
- Need of debureaucratization
- Restoring academic substance
- Prioritising values over structure
- Freezing imagination from institutional constraints
CORRECTIVE MEASURES :
- Governance -Need to ensure participation of teachers' representatives in the Decision making bodies, Selection committees must be made accountable.
- Autonomy ( with commitment & accountability).
- Self Financing Courses- Integration with traditional Courses- needed- permanent Faculty , Regulations.
- Faculty Issues: To Attract Brain in Teaching-Faculty Enrichment Programme- Exchange programmes- Filling of Vacancy of teaching & non teaching staff, Differential Treatment of achievers, CAS, Arrears, DPEs/Sports officers/Librarian issues,
- Research : Basic facilities, teaching Load Vs Research, Interdisciplinary-Trans disciplinary-cross disciplinary, Publication issues.
- Academic Calendar, Work Load, Vacation & Leave Rules: UGC Vs Central & state Universities Regulations - Reform needed
Challenges and Opportunities-Suggestions - Agenda for Further Reforms in Higher Education:
- Financial , Academic ,Affiliation, Examination, Regulatory, accreditation & Governance reforms.
- To Make RUSA Mission Authority an Autonomous body free from Govt Control.
- Expansion, Equity, Excellence & Employability- Challenges Ahead- Set realistic goals
- Modification in RUSA Guidelines- Amend the performance based criteria in funding-Start with the scheme of seed money & Catch up Grant before performance appraisal.
- Public-Private Partnership: Critical Review-think Twice
- Public Research Universities: In pursuit of excellence in research.
- 6% of GDP on Education and increase it to 10% in phased manner.
GWALIOR DECLARATION ON RUSA- Gwalior NEC meet of AIFUCTO ( Mar 01, 2014) resolved :Members of secretariat to form a committee on RUSA - to invite comments/opinions objections/ suggestions from all stake holders on RUSA & for alternate novel ideas based on contemporary best practices in HE world over- survey/collect data from states based on ground realities-
Our leaders & members are requested to write articles/air views in print/electronic media - and finally to write a report based on all suggestions/objections/ novel ideas -This REPORT will be forwarded to the GOVT for action. Let this be a united effort for the cause of inclusive quality education in our country.